1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New receiver from GNS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill2002, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Bill2002

Bill2002 New Member

Hello to everybody....
    I would like to give you a hint....to a brand-new ADS-B HAT from a German Company "GNS Electronics"
    today I got the Hat from their engineers for testing with my Raspi Zero and model 3
    I will show you some pics of that nice hardware
    IMG_5186_web.jpg

The HAT is equipped with I2C, SPI and one I/O for switching something. SPI should be used for the GPS
    The Antenna connector is not best placed ...would be better to have one horizontal to the PCB I guess.

I measured the power consumption together with the PI ist was around 200 mA ......that is not so much.

To make the HAT work it is a little bit tricky because GNS is using the UART with 300.000 baud raw
    So you have to with of Bluetooth and use this serial port.

I tried to make it work together with VRS ....it works but the VRS is to slow
    The thing is that the HAT is receiving like a Beast ...this is no joke it is very near by....
    so we are reaching very high frame rates and of course long range up to 450 km
    The bad thing is that actual I can not feed into FR24 because of the high frame rates....looks they can´t handle that
    I will try to use it together with the Raspi 3 and the LCD touch screen.

Stay tuned I will go upstairs to test together with my rooftop antenna let´s see whats happen than

regards

Bill2002

2. MDA

MDA Administrator Staff Member

Could be a good receiver but... Can you use it to feed ADSBx?

3. James

James Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the format it's outputting? Is that a hat SDR? Assuming it's decoding ADS-B, if it outputs Beast or AVR by itself ... or does it use dump1090?

4. MDA

GNS has already ADS-B receiver GNS 5890 but output data format is incompatble with mlat-client.

5. MDA

Please post your test results and if successfull Pi config allowing to feed ADSBx.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019