1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[OUTDATED] piAware 3.5.3 image - WORKING MLAT REQUIRES MANUAL UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Dan, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member

IF YOU ARE RUNNING THIS IMAGE IN THE WILD. GOOGLE SHUT OFF THE API IT WAS USING TO DETERMINE ALTITUDE.

MLAT WILL NO LONGER WORK UNTIL YOU EDIT IT

nano /home/pi/adsb-exchange/adsbexchange-mlat_maint.sh

Change

ALTITUDE=(google blah blah)

to

ALTITUDE=100

or whatever feet altitude it is.... then reboot.

NOT COMPATIBLE WITH NEW PI 3B+
    PI 3B+ USERS PLEASE INSTALL NEW FA IMAGE FROM FA AND USE SCRIPT METHOD TO FEED ADSBX

We have a new Raspberry Pi "image" available based on piAware 3.5.3 available here:

REMOVED: 3.6.3 coming soon.

New Features:

• Based on the piAware 3.5.3 image with some additions.
    • All necessary customization for using Wifi and ADSBexchange "Custom Feeds" features are available simply by editing the piaware-config.txt file when mounting the image on your desktop computer.
    • Add a second SDR dongle, and receive 978 Mhz as well

Please add discussions/questions/comments below!

Thanks,
    Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018
  2. deltaleader71

deltaleader71 New Member

I setup ADBSx on my Rpi 3.5.3 about a month ago using the scripted setup you have on this site. That said, do I need to make any changes or updates since this update you posted?

One reason I ask is that I tend to get a lot of aircraft that show up in the list from the global radar view on this site, but they do not show up on the map. Not sure if it is a configuration problem or other?

3. Dan

No, you do not have to make any changes. The main purpose here was to clean a few things up, as well as get it working with piAware 3.5.3.

Regarding the aircraft list question - this can happen if, for example, an aircraft is non-adsb, and an MLAT position was obtained in the area you're viewing > 60 seconds ago. The plane is removed from the map, because the position is stale, but it stays in the list because it is in the area. If you click on the aircraft in the list, you'll note that it has a lat/lon, but it's probably not updating.

deltaleader71 likes this.
  4. Dan

Note, there is a bug in this release. I need to burn a new image. Basically, it is using my FA feeder_id.

For now, to reset it, you need to delete all files in
    /var/cache/piaware and reboot the pi.

Then claim it on FlightAware using https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim if it's a new feeder, or set your old "feeder_id" in the confiug file if you want it to take over the stats, etc. from your previous feeder.

Dan

5. NerdScott

NerdScott New Member

Will the "Custom Feeds" thing only work with the new piAware 3.5.3 image?

6. MDA

MDA Administrator Staff Member

I don't think so. I'm feeding from own setup (from scratch). It works.
    New ADSBx image simplified configuration of custom feed.

7. NerdScott

NerdScott New Member

Thanks for the info. Next question - is there a simple way to determine which station from the list of zCons-51xxx is mine? I've looked through as much info on my setup as I can access from work and I can't find anything that would indicate which feed belongs to me. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this particular question.

8. MDA

Only way is check to which zCons you are feeding in /home/pi/adsb-exchange/adsbexchange-netcat_maint.sh
    If you see your traffic on Custom Feeds follow the steps described in Howto and request feeder name change.

9. James

James Administrator Staff Member

Yes what MDA said. The zCons are out there so people can test the custom port feed. There is a form that you can request the port you connect to and the feed to be customized for a name for you!

https://www.adsbexchange.com/how-to-feed/custom-feed-how-to/

Request form:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...0GKuvQqNg69QlzZG_Q4MhPJw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Basically, check that it's working on your chosen port - then fill out the form and request that port be named to whatever you want.

Make sure nobody else is on that port when you are testing. You'll know because it won't connect or will show other traffic.

10. Ross

Ross New Member

Hi

New to ADSB exchange. I downloaded the zip and when I unzip it I get a disc image file. I click on that and it wants me to mount it to a dvd disc. Is that right. I guess flightaware is much easier to use..just setup the config file and your "on the air" Am I doing something wrong? easier way?
    Maybe easier just to stick to flightaware

11. MDA

Hi
    You probably have installed virtual DVD drive and files with .img extension are asociated with it.
    Unzip image, run image writer (fe. Etcher) and follow the steps.
    FA image needs same procedure.

12. Ross

Ross New Member

how do you unzip and not have it end up as an .img file every time? i'm just not very computer literate :)

13. MDA

Which OS are you running?
    Basically wihout archiver installed you should right click on zip file and select something like "Extract here.."

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Ross

Ross New Member

windows 10

15. MDA

Try to right click on zip file and select "Extract here" or sth like that. File should be unzipped.

16. MDA

I strongly suggest to install 7-zip.

17. MDA

You have to install image writer.
    Etcher (easier)
    or
    Win32DiskImager (more powerfull)

18. James

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

using the adsbexchange piaware image is identical to using the piaware image ... identical .. just a few more fields at the end of the piaware-config.txt

burn, edit, stick in pi, works

19. Ross

Ross New Member

James

I have been using piaware for about a year now, feeding flightaware without problems. I can't unzip your software. I get this "I downloaded the zip and when I unzip it I get a disc image file. I click on that and it wants me to mount it to a dvd disc" Just tell me what the fields are to add at the end of the config-txt file and I'll do it by hand. So far very frustrated

20. James

The zip file contains a .img file. Identical to the piaware image setup. You can't just add fields to the end of the config file - FlightAware has specifically prevented this because they make bling off your feed by selling the data. It's not in FA's interest or FA's 100 employees interest to help the community feed other sites.

Dan created an image that will feed FA and us, and it's based on PiAware.

https://www.adsbexchange.com/2017/12/30/new-piaware-image/

Unzip the zip - you'll get image file
    Install and use Etcher.io burn SD
    Edit the piaware-config.txt on the SD card in Windows notepad and save
    Insert into Pi
    Plug in power
    Just works!