1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pi Rookie uses Mac

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by MDVolle, Apr 8, 2019.

1. MDVolle

MDVolle New Member

Does anyone have a step by step for using Mac Terminal in place of putty?

Is there a Mac OS alternative?

I haven't been successful connecting to my ADSBX-Custom Pi from terminal even though it seems like it should work?

Thanks

Mark

2. MDA

MDA Administrator Staff Member

3. MDVolle

MDVolle New Member

Thank You!

4. MDVolle

MDVolle New Member

Marcin,

Still having issues with the WiFi setup -
    I enter the info in the config file.
    Log-in splash screen still tells me WiFi disabled -haven't set my country code?
    When I run raspi-config and go to network setup WiFi screen it says "could not communicate with wpa-supplicant"

My home router is running WPA2-Personal and is the gateway at 192.168.0.1 (not very origional)

Wired ethernet seems to work perfectly and is connected directly to the same router.

I could configure for 2.4 or 5.8ghz but I think 2.4 would have better transmission through the walls to the mast outside?

Thanks

5. MDA

MDA Administrator Staff Member

Try to put on boot partition file: wpasupplicant.conf , example content below:
    Code:
    country=US
    ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1

network={
        ssid="myssid"
        scan_ssid=1
        psk="password"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    }
    Replace myssid and password with yours.
    Or edit file manually
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  6. James

James Administrator Staff Member

Umm .. so that image takes a little work to get 5Ghz or WifI running sometimes. thanks to Raspbian and WiFi laws/standards stupidity with the Pi 3B+.

You really shouldn't put it on 5Ghz unless absolutely necessary since 5Ghz range is very low compared to 2.4Ghz.

In /home/pi/adsbexhange-wifi.sh

edit it and add your country code. Next image supports this in the config file -- it was not needed in the 3B images .. something I missed thanks to Raspbian 3B+ poor documentation on it.

Change

Code:
            echo -e 'ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev\n\nnetwork={\n scan_ssid=1\n ssid="'${WIFI_SSID}'"\n psk="'${WIFI_PASSWORD}'"\n }' >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf 
    to

Code:
             echo -e 'country=US\nctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev\nupdate-config=1\n\nnetwork={\n scan_ssid=1\n ssid="'${WIFI_SSID}'"\n psk="'${WIFI_PASSWORD}'"\n }' >> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf 
    If that's too hard ... let me know when it's on ethernet and I can do it remotely maybe over ZeroTier

All you are doing is adding..
    country=US\n
    to that echo -e 'country=US\n .... blah blah blah

Then save it and reboot .. as long as you've got WiFi setup in the config .. it should work

7. MDVolle

MDVolle New Member

James - Thanks for the individual attention!

I was beginning to feel really computer stupid - every time I messed with a config script or added a line, I would break the image in some way and have to re-flash the card to get running again.

Now that I understand the smart quotes issue (Mac text edit defaults to unicode and smart quotes) I have turned them off and am beginning to feel literate again.

My wife, who does a lot of design and has done a lot of print work found it LOL level funny that I DIDN'T know about smart quotes and was crashing things...

I agree that 2.4 is more generally reliable and am going to start working on my own version of the "Franken Feeder" ans see where I get!

Thanks

Mark

8. James

9. MDVolle

MDVolle New Member

OK - learning lots - Questions;

I see planes on global radar that do not appear on my local map from the Pi - but they are very local and I would think that they should show?

On the dashboard. the data sent and received indicator don't indicate anything - just stay at zero (possibly associated with first item?)

NOT using smart quotes works a LOT better in my script files!

Thanks

Mark

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 11.28.36 PM.png

10. James

You have to change the Data for either wireless or wired. Login as admin ... admin / admin

It's been explained elsewhere on the forum.

As for the planes .. hard to say .. we aggregate thousands of feeds ..