1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still having pooblems with the feed

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by davlinds, Jan 15, 2019.

1. davlinds

davlinds New Member

I have my FA and ADSB feeds on a Raspi 3B+, I have claimed 51300 port using "feeder" and I m struggling to get output
    when I use
    I get "broken pipe"

I have this output for

I would appreciate some pointers

2. James

James Administrator Staff Member

socat -u TCP:localhost:30005 TCP:feed.adsbexchange.com:51300

Why a slash? /

That's normal. Haproxy restarts will force all connections to close and reconnect. MLAT server is overloaded frequently.

Nothing to see, stop worrying and let the Pi do it's thing.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    while true
      do
         socat -u TCP:localhost:30005 TCP:feed.adsbexchange.com:51300
         sleep 30
      done

3. davlinds

davlinds New Member

I am still consistently getting the broken pipe message, and the handshake failure on 51300. When can I start worrying :)

4. James

5. James

6. James

There's likely multiple turds trying to feed the same port .. happens all the time - le sigh

7. James

I was working on an update post for Announcements.

We've been doing lots of reliability updates and, basically, error checking / compensations for feeds. Since about 20% can't follow directions. :D

Just some of the things that occupy more of our time that they should:

Feeders request ports that are not even in the range of given ports to feed.
    Feeders send SBS Basestation instead of CompressVRS.
    Feeders rebroadcast our own feed back to us, which gets IP immediately banned with prejudice.
    Feeders try to use VRS to send data, VRS crashes or delays or mangles data.

Dan and I have talked about it at length and in the future VRS will VERY LIKELY be completely banned from feeding ADSBx. We spend hours fixing issues with VRS feeds. I've already separated all VRS feeds from the main feed stream due to multiple issues caused by VRS users not following even the simplest configuration instructions.

I think the issue is many VRS uses are not tech savy.

If anyone is using a Pi and SDR, the best and most reliable way is to feed direct from the Pi.

Don't install VRS on the Pi and try to feed with it. Don't relay data to some PC and feed from it.

Just feed from the Pi, it works, it's reliable, and makes our lives much easier. And it's better data.

As of now, Proxy server now will not lose your traffic, aka reject it when someone is stepping on your port.

I added some logic to try to not use 30005 unless port is 100% taken .. but .. apparently that generated your reconnect errors.

backend custom_51300
    balance leastconn
    server custom 172.19.5.102:51300 maxconn 1
    server cons_30005 feed.adsbexchange.com:30005

It will redirect the feed to the anonymous beast port, if 51300 has a connection to it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Freqman likes this.
  8. davlinds

davlinds New Member

I am feeder!!! from Wargrave haha.I did fill in one of those port allocation forms

If it would help I am quite happy to move to another port

BTW Does the following contain any actions from me
    backend custom_51300
    balance leastconn
    server custom 172.19.5.102:51300 maxconn 1
    server cons_30005 feed.adsbexchange.com:30005

James likes this.
  9. James

No, that's just how the Proxy server routes a custom port ...

I guess it might have been free at the time. People start and stop feeding occasionally .. I think ACD had emailed recently ...

10. James

I'll DM you are port to change to. A secret port. :D

11. James

Let me know if you got the private conversation. At least I hope conversations are private.

12. davlinds

davlinds New Member

Yes, I got it thanks
    I have made the changes to adsbexchange-mlat_maint.sh and adsbexchange-netcat_maint.sh and rebooted. Unfortunately no change in the messages.
    Any suggestions?

13. MDA

MDA Administrator Staff Member

In mlat_maint script you should use port 31090. Custom port only in netcat script.

14. James

Yes please only change that one line in netcat_maint ...

socat -u TCP:localhost:30005 TCP:feed.adsbexchange.com:<port_I_sent>

Don't change MLAT script ...

it should always send data to
    --server feed.adsbexchange.com:31090
    from
    --input-connect localhost:30005

Then reboot the Pi.

15. davlinds

davlinds New Member

I had to reload an old backup over a week ago and I am contributing to the MLAT data but am getting no graphical output :(

I am user "wargrave", and sorry for being a wally

16. James

ummmm .. reload a backup? What does that mean?

Did you burn a new image for the Pi?

17. davlinds

davlinds New Member

No, I did not burn a new image as I used a RPI-clone before the time someone squatted on my port. I have an MLAT feed for "wargrave" but no data on https://customglobal4.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html#
    Should the netcat file be:

The other strange thing is when I access https://customglobal4.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html# I change the lat long to mine but it changes back to another setting when I access the web page later

What significance is /etc/default/mlat-client as that has no settings

Thanks

18. MDA

MDA Administrator Staff Member

Both versions of netcat file should work.
    Run netstat in terminal window and check if you are connected to ADSBx server.
    This issue can be browser dependent, your layout is stored in cookie. It can be somehow cleaned/removed by your browser.
    On FF window layout is always the same as last time open.

19. James

The web ui .. lat/lon is not related to your feeder. That's saved in the browser and the reset is due to VRS developer not doing things with leaflet layers correctly. I've asked for a solution, but I get no response.

Can you send me your external IP? Email me.

From a computer on the same network as the Pi, go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ and send me the IP.

I can see if there are any connections.

20. davlinds

davlinds New Member

I have pm'd you :)